Friday, June 25, 2010

The start of a game developing company

So while I don't make my private life public, it isn't a secret I work with animals and own my own Dog training company. Have for some time. Being in that industry I tend to see some thing's I'd wish I hadn't.
Gaming has always been an outlet for me, a way to have some fun, a hobby.
Well lately It's been a bit more then a hobby and so as I close in on the big 30, which is still a couple years away, I began to think about changing some things in my life. Now I doubt I ever cut animals out of my life completely, I'll volunteer and still work and train dogs here and there, especially at first, nothing much will change.

What is all this getting at? Well going back to school to design, develop video games. My brother (Hellhammer/William) is getting his certifications and has been doing tech and design for years already. Also in College for graphics and game desgin.
So we have decided to try to come out with our own game developing company. I know it sounds far fetched to some people, but Hellhammer has actual been making games for years, mostly on P.C. and mostly classic style side scrolling platform games.

It's definitely not a joke, gaming is an industry not in danger of going anywhere, it gains annually and is a fun environment to work in and around. Microsoft makes it very easy as well. you can get there dev kits for indie Arcade style games easily and it's $100 for a game to go up for a year on XBox Live. Now you can only charge $1 to $3 for your game, but it's a start.
The goal is to have two arcade titles out before the end of 2011. By then we will both have finished school and hopefully be able to start our own Game company. It will be small at first, but I would love to mold it in the style of Bioware, with an emphasis on good games, doesn't really matter they type. I love Shooters so if we work on one of those it will be done right, I think the fact that we are clan gamers we know what's good and what doesn't work. Sometimes I get the feeling game developers don't have any idea what the people actually want.

I also love retro gaming and 2-D platform games are something that has always interested me. Throw in the mix the Western style RPG's much like what Bioware offers and that will combine my love for writing and gaming.

Of course for the foreseeable future we have to keep the day jobs, but it's a nice thing to get involved in. Probably going to start with a small group, like maybe four to six people, hopefully we can catch on. Some of the Xbox Live indie games have really caught on and I am hoping we can do the same.

We will be coming up with a name and unveil it soon, something catchy and maybe with "Mercenary" or "Nomad" in the titles somewhere.

Why would I change my career now you ask? Well I tend to think when you have done something a long time, sometimes a change is needed. I have actually been in the animal industry for about twelve years already. I mean everyone evolves and everything changes. Sometimes it's good to get a jump on the change instead of just sitting back and getting smacked in the face by it.

2 comments:

  1. great shit Ill buy your first arcade games

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping everyone will! Itll probably only be $1 or $2

    ReplyDelete