Friday, June 18, 2010

Gamer hypocrites, What makes them tick?

Okay so with E3 so close I was thinking a bit about some thing's I've heard over the years.
One was from Sony fans. I think close to 100% of them have said at one time or another "I will never pay for online gaming". Now we see that PSN is about to offer up a Paid service, much like XBL and all of a sudden the PS3 fans are all over it. It seems so odd to me.

One of the other hypocrisy's is when people call Microsoft's Natal a "Ripoff of The Eyetoy". Yet, they don't see any similarities with the Move and the Wii Mote? Or take note that a Paid PSN service is a direct ripoff of XBL? Or Trophies being a direct answer and ripoff to the Achievement system on XBL?
It goes even deeper, I mean Sony is talking about Satellite radio, cross party chat and both of those have been on XBL a while now.

There is yet even more hypocrisy. We hear about how well the PS3 did when a slim version came out and it's true, it sold well for the first few months, then leveled off, but Sony got a nice little push nonetheless. Now for some strange reason, Sony fans don't think or neglect to admit that a slim Xbox 360 could very well see the same increase. I am not sure why though? I mean it's obvious a redesign would sell well, calm fears of Red Ring and bring in new Xbox 360 owners as well as old ones who are looking for for a newer version of the system.

Hypocrisy doesn't just end with the the Sony fans, but with Sony themselves. In 2006 at their E3 event they clearly said "We are certainly not interested in gimmicks" and basically berated Nintendo for using motion controls and "Gimmicks" yet now we see them copying Nintendo right down to the controller and they are pushing 3-D which has historically been a fad and comes and goes throughout history. What is 3-D if not a attempt at a gimmick?

So I guess I wonder what makes people act this way? I mean people especially on this site take their console so seriously and I mean, sure I prefer the Xbox 360 and get a laugh out of how hardcore some of these fans are, but often it borders on fanatical.

Another example is Sony fans thinking the "Move" is going to be for hardcore gamers while "Natal" will be for casual gamers. I mean really? Clearly both are trying to go after the Nintendo casual market, I am sure there will be some hardcore games on both, but it wont be the norm for either. Clearly.

Next we come to pricing on these items. If you go by the rumors. "Move" is going to be $99 and Natal $149. What Sony fans fail to admit is, you only need one Natal for everyone in the same house to play it together. While you need to buy additional controllers if you want more then one person to play the "Move". Which means it would actually cost more in the long run with Move.

Ignorance, while can be found on both sides, is really evident on the Sony side. I mean in every article on N4G that has Microsoft or Natal in it are usually hung up in limbo waiting to get approved, while Sony fans try to find fault with the articles.

I'm not saying 360 fans are better or Nintendo fans, but especially on this site, the ignorance and hypocrisy is some of the worst I've ever seen.

It's like, How excited should people get over a gaming console? Especially a last place one that previously dominated the market the last two generations?

SO I guess I would suggest that some of you need to relax a bit and not take thing's too seriously. I mean I've been gaming since the 1980's and there is always fanboys, but instead of getting mad, try getting a laugh. I sometimes will post something just to get a laugh or whatever.
Relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment